Sunday, January 13, 2008

Why do I balk?

I have been invited to a "Survivor's Banquet," on March 11. My first gut impulse is to say "Thanks, but no thanks." Why do I balk at this identification with other women who have been through this disease, with women who have the confidence to celebrate their status as survivors?

I don't even like the word "survivor" in this context. It sounds so wimpy, so passive to me. As if something bad happened and all I did was persevere--but isn't that exactly what happened? And, I'm not sure this is something I can celebrate, embrace or otherwise share with a whole group of people. I don't feel triumphant yet, I still feel abused.

Am I suffering under the illusion that I am special, that somehow my experience is different? Am I just shy about publicly coming out of the metaphorical breast cancer closet? Is it just that I have learned to be distrustful of groups in general, after small town politics in NY? Am I feeling a bit guilty because I got off easy, and my experience seems so less traumatic than what it could have been, than what others have gone through? I examine all my feelings and don't think it's any of these things.

I rationalize. I might meet some interesting people. This might be a means to get to know people in a new town that I otherwise might never encounter. Get a grip Pam, it could be fun!

Maybe it's just still too fresh, too raw. Maybe it's just that I want to look forward, not back. Maybe I'm still pretending that this doesn't have to be what my life is about anymore, and I can go back to the way things were. Maybe I just don't want to be one of "them," I want to be "normal."

So, you see, I'm still working on the last of my five stages, acceptance of what is, of what has happened to me. I still don't accept this at all.

Hmmmm.....

2 comments:

terry said...

Pam, Whatever could you be referring to? "small town politics in N.Y." Geez, I have no idea! HA - Your NY small town friend

Jayne Culberson said...

Why do you bald? Hmmm, I still do. Somehow it seems that by attending these functions it implies that I need to be encouraged that I have beat the cancer. I don't think this is always the intent and yet participation makes me feel like I'm still trying to convince myself. Give yourself permission to do what feels right or good without other consideration in this case - it's okay not to go just because it is not right for you now. (I'm I still trying to convince myself)?