Sunday, January 20, 2008

Storm Fizzle & Politics

Well, Terry and MaryAnn were right--the predicted snowstorm was a big, fat fizzle. I feel cheated, and let-down. I was so prepared to do all the right things, and then...nothing. Yes, all sorts of metaphors could be reached for here, but the one that springs to mind this morning is the political fooferah we are being forced to witness this year.

I take my citizen duties seriously. I read from all sides of the political spectrum and try to stay informed (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ ). I vote. I write letters (now emails, thank you Internet!) to my elected representatives. I try to balance cynicism and criticism about government with an optimistic, idealistic outlook. But this "Election Season" is beginning to try my patience. What a big, fat mess. An empty promise. All show and no go.

I had great hopes this year for a rousing public discussion of issues and ideologies. With so many personalities in the mix, there was the potential for some spirited national dialogue about what the future economic and foreign policies of our country should be. The first presidential election in many decades with no incumbent or natural successor meant that we'd have a slew of new faces and new ideas. Instead, the cat-fight of who wants more "change" on the left and the spate of old (even if they are young) white men on the right has left me weary and discouraged. John McCain? Hillary Clinton? Huckabee, Obama, Romney, Thompson, Edwards, Giuliani? Oh for crying out loud, give me a break! It looks like a pack of miscreants squabbling for possession of the ball on the playground. The ones who aren't outright ideologues, wanting to be crowned monarch or slimy populists, are either inarticulate (like we need more of that?) or deemed "unelectable."

If I can't find anyone in the pack I can stomach listening to for the next 4 years, should I just put on my foil pyramid hat and go vote for Ron Paul, as my children are threatening to do? Yeah, there's some "change," right back atcha.

People keep telling me that at least it will be interesting at the conventions this summer. Oh really? They put Vick in jail for arranging dog fights, when are they going to do the same to the media, the RNC and the DNC? Shame on them all.

I suppose I will trudge down to the courthouse on February 5 and do my duty. But I'll be holding my nose when I punch the touch-screen.

1 comment:

terry said...

Well, personally, I would vote for you over all of them because:
a. you were on Jeopardy
b. you used the word "fooferah"