Thursday, January 3, 2008

No Chemo For Me!

I am stunned and humbled with good news. Oncotype testing came back with the number "6," when I wasn't even daring to hope that it would be less than 18! The results have spared me the decision about chemotherapy, as the risks of the treatment are now known to be greater than any possible benefit.

This now places me at a statistical probability of recurrence of 3-7% over the next ten years. Hormonal therapy, in the form of a daily pill of tamoxifen, is the next and last defense I will require, other than check-ups for the rest of my life.

Six months ago, without this test being available, I would have been given 3-6 months of chemo as a precaution.

Dr. DaSilva said "Go, live a happy and long life. It is not often I get to tell patients GOOD news!"

No comments: