Thursday, December 18, 2008

Huge Snow & 3 Days to Go...

It started snowing Tuesday night, and by yesterday morning at 5 am, it was looking serious. Kellie decided to drive me up to the airport in her all-wheel-drive Subaru wagon (Jerry used the old argument we used to use on the kids, "it's not your driving we worry about, it's the other idiots on the road)!" So, K & I left at 6 am for Bill's 9 am flight and started our way up I-5. It wasn't too bad.

Traffic was thankfully light, (most of the commuters apparently gave themselves a "snow day"), and we were at the airport by 7:45. We stopped for breakfast at Denny's. I bound off Bonnie's scarf. We drank more coffee. Aileen called to say her plane was delayed two hours from L.A. We parked at United, and then found Bill's flight was coming in at Baggage Claim 1, instead of 16, so we got our exercise walking the length of the terminal. Juli arrived around 9:30, having been let off her bus at #1, trudging down to #16 to meet us, then back again to #1 to finally find us. We milled. We waited. Around 11 am, Bill finally wandered out of customs in a tired, sleepy daze. We loaded luggage and drove to Alex's house, then went to a restaurant for clam chowder.
Just as we were seated, Kellie got a text from Jerry that Aileen's plane was now due in about 8 minutes.

We left Bill with Alex and Juli at the restaurant, and tore down I-5 back to the airport. We found Aileen right away, and went back up to get our chowder, then took the kids back to Alex's house and headed for Olympia. The weather in Seattle was cold with intermittent rain, but it deteriorated the further south we went. Once we got off the freeway, the local streets were like glass, but everyone behaved nicely and we made it home safely.

It continued to snow--we've gotten about 4" in the last 24 hours. We made pizza and salad, Bonnie & Angela gave us all an impromptu concert (since Angela's school concert was cancelled), and there was much laughter and fun. It's great to have the family together again. And I love having my boyfriend back.

******

Now it's Thursday, and I'm freaking out.  Where's my list? (Don't know). What have I forgotten? (Ditto). What do I need to do? (Shorten the chuppah--it's too tall). What should I cook for dinner tonight? (Meatloaf). Is there more snow coming? (Yes). I've decided I need another week to get everything straight in my head. I have 3 days.

I think I'll go get a manicure instead, and procrastinate this puppy just a little while longer...

2 comments:

Hannah said...

So glad that everybody is back together where they are suppose to be. Sounds interesting and great material for another good story.
Don't forget to post pictures. Hang in there, Sister. You're doing just fine. Miss you.
Love,
Hannah

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

THUS THE PHRASE: NEVER A DULL MOMENT!!! ONLY A MOTHER COULD HAVE COINED IT.......

L, M :-)