Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cash & Carry supplants Target as my new BFF

I found the foodservice store yesterday, kind of a cross between Smart & Final and Sysco. I located it in a roundabout way, on an unsuccessful search for Sterno in Home Depot. By striking up a good ol' TN-type conversation with a group of clerks, they told me about Cash & Carry, just down the street.

I was encouraged by the presence of catering trucks in the parking lot, and inside--well, to a girl who lives for #10 cans and bulk-buying, this was like walking through the pearly gates. They had everything I was looking for, from my Sterno to potholders, butter pats and wheels of Brie, whole hunks of meat and paper goods, chef's coats and stainless steel tongs. I found my 12 quart plastic salad bowl. Six heads of romaine for $3.48 and ten pounds of apples for $7. My life is complete.

I wandered through all the aisles and refrigerated rooms (I wonder if I could install such a room at home for those "heated" moments?), jotting down sizes and prices. Tomorrow, K & I are going back up to the Ft. Lewis Commissary, and we'll be able to determine what to buy and where. I got a call to say the veggie trays from the culinary school aren't happening now, so having a local source for good, cheap produce is a relief.

Eleven days to go. No news on Bill yet.

No comments: