Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Cryptic Bill & Disturbing Cash Registers

In this morning's email, Bill said that he had no word on being relieved yet, but that he "had reason to hope." It does no good to speculate on what he means, but I'm encouraged.  Bill worries better than anyone I know.  If he sounds optimistic, it must be good news indeed.

Plans for the wedding continue to firm up nicely. I found nice appetizer plates and cocktail napkins at Albertson's yesterday, along with a year's supply of #6 coffee filters that I can't get in TN.  The last time I needed them, Mom had to send them from Los Angeles. 

We're hoping to get the culinary students from the trade school here to do the vegetable trays--we went to a retirement party a week ago and were so impressed with that part of their catering, we decided that was one splurge that we could go for.

I continue to be knocked out by the sheer abundance of awesome ingredients I have to work with: cheeses from Trader Joe's, fresh fruit from local markets, unusual crackers even in the commissary at Ft. Lewis.  (Kellie, Jerry and I have made a significant dent in the champagne supply, so we're probably going to have to make another run up there to replenish before the big day).

Yesterday, I took Bill's suit to the cleaners, along with two shirts--he can choose which he wants to wear when he gets here, and they will be ready to go. The freakiest part of the process was that the cash register talked to me. (It said "Thank you very much," as it spit out my claim ticket). Now I ask you, is this really necessary?  I mean, even if you have the technology to make a cash register talk, does that mean that you should go ahead and do it? 

Is this just one more dehumanizing factor in our busy lives?  If you have a talking cash register, does it negate the necessity of the clerk to actually interact with you?  I don't see this as a bonus--grocery clerks barely acknowledge the customer as it is now, salespeople in stores studiously ignore any sign that you need help, and now, the machine thanks me, not the person.
I'm pretty sure this is NOT an improvement in societal evolution.

I couldn't let the transaction go without some comment.  Not content to be all blase and casually blank like everyone else in the place, I loudly exclaimed, "DID THAT CASH REGISTER JUST TALK TO ME?" The clerk nodded.  One of the other customers hissed, sotto voice, "they don't speak English."

Now I get it. This is not good news, people.

2 comments:

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

There you go again - I'm sitting here laughing imagining you shouting out about the talking cash register. Makes you appreciate the good ole country folk in East TN behind those cash registers talking to their customers, even though it holds up the line!!!!!

Don't get too used to all of the extravagant supplies at your fingertips...............

Glad all is going well - we are dealing with a little snow yesterday and today and school closings!!!!

L, M ;-)

Hannah said...

Ok, would you rather have talking cash registers, or gals at the produce market asking about your rhuematism (sp?)?! Yes, it gets a little 'nosey' around these here parts, but people really care aboutcha. I'm sure it is nice to readily find the stuff you need. Of course, I don't know what all is out there, so I don't feel constrained. :-) Sounds like they have better stuff than Yoders! (tee hee) Save some of that booze. It might be a tad better than moonshine! Hugs,
Hannah