Saturday, October 25, 2008

South'run Greens

When my guests and I visited the Farmers' Market on Tuesday, I got talked into buying a bag of "greens." The seller said they were kale, although it didn't look like any kind of kale I've ever seen. He raved about how tender and sweet they were, and by golly, they did look fresh and inviting, and before I knew it, I was walking away with a whole bag of them for a dollar.

On the last night Molly and Alexandra were here, I chopped up two slices of bacon and two onions and put them in a stockpot. I then added the washed greens and a little water and cooked them down for about 45 minutes while I made some brown rice and quickly sauteed some salmon.

Wow! What a revelation! With a little squeeze of lemon juice and some salt and pepper, it was like the best spinach ever! And I could almost feel the vitamins coursing through my system.

I may get this Southern thing down yet, although don't hold your breath waiting for me to come around on the issue of biscuits and gravy...

1 comment:

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

Mmmmmmmm, biscuits & gravy!!!!!! How about grits? Do you like them? Just wondering!!!! And, what about "nanner" puddin???? Makes my mouth water..........Talk to you soon!!!!!

L, M ;-)