Sunday, October 26, 2008

Busy, Busy, Busy

I overdid it yesterday. After waiting for the rain to subside, I wrestled the ceiling paneling outside and started finishing it. But I didn't like the color of the natural pine with the polyurethane finish, which always makes things a tad yellow (the label calls it "slight ambering," which is a subtly nice way of saying "it yellows"). So off to Walmart I went, with a hunk of pine 2 x 4 in my hand, to test various stain colors. I decided tentatively on a maple hue, and here are the results:

Now the ceiling will tie in visually to the maple vanity cabinet, and I will be all coordinatey. (I know that's not a real word, and I'm okay with that). Isn't it nice that I have a deck that doubles as a really big sawhorse?

After staining and first-coat finishing 240 linear feet of boards, I was pooped. Then, after dark, I packed up about 20 auction boxes. After that, I swilled down a Mike's Hard Lemonade and staggered to bed.

Today, more of the same. Another coat of polyurethane on the panels, staining and first coat on the beam-wrapping boards, another eleventy-billion auction boxes. Tomorrow, Joe will finish the drywall installation and start taping and mudding. And I will paint mouldings, baseboards and the linen closet door.

And then, I'll start packing for the west coast.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Do you care to let me in on the drugs you are taking?!?!?!
Girlfriend, you made me tired just reading what you had done!
I can't believe it's time for you to head out west....
We HAVE to play a little before your journey.
Hannah

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

Whew - s l o w d o w n!!!!!!!