Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Busier than I want to be

Life has been big-time crazy around here. I haven't had two seconds to rub together to spend on the blog or anything fun.

The bathroom project continues, with yesterday devoted to much lumber and pounding. Today I have hopes that the boys will finish the floor and that will mean I'll have the "modern conveniences" back again by tomorrow.

My computer went "POP!" on Saturday morning when the power cut out, and now it seems to have lost its cerebellum. It's sad to see it sitting there, blinking "INSERT BOOT DISK," like a rabid raccoon who has lost its brain and is running in circles. Off to the computer hospital with it this morning.

Then there's the other annoyance, my job as property manager. Late yesterday afternoon, I got a call that the heat was not working at one of the rental houses. I was in the midst of packing up 60 (count 'em, SIXTY) eBay auction boxes, but I went over there to see what the problem might be. When I got there, the thermostat showed that it was 75 degrees in the house, apparently too cold for the tenant. I got the furnace to kick in and move it up to 80. "Still too cold!" she pantomimed, as she speaks only Korean, and a very little English.

I realize that my tamoxifen-fueled internal furnace skews my perception of what ambient temperature should be, but give me a break! When I told her that it would be morning before I could get a repairman out to look at it, she started to wail, "No, no, what we do at night?"

I don't know about you, but I grew up in a home that didn't waste money on heating the whole house--if you were cold, you were told to put on a sweater! I'm living here without the benefit of toilet or shower, so certainly they can suck it up and manage one night under extra clothes and quilts, even if it gets down to a moderately cool 65 at night, right? Especially when they let me know about the problem late in the day instead of first thing in the morning. I may not have the patience for this type of work.

So today, I have to take the repairman over to the rental, then off to Fedex for shipping a whole car load of boxes, seeing the computer man, and picking up the vanity. (When I went for the vanity last week, it was scratched and dinged and I refused delivery until they could get me one that was right).

Another crazy day ahead.



1 comment:

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

That's how my life seems all of the time - NOW you see why I don't have the time or the energy for the phone!!!! Patience, girlfriend!!!!

L, M :-}