Saturday, October 11, 2008

3 am Musings

What in the world am I doing awake at 3 am?

Thinking about: what to cook when Molly and Alexandra come to visit, moving and making up beds for them, cleaning up the floor space first, auction pictures that need to be taken for this weekend, the sequence of events in the bathroom renovation, bills that need to be paid, stocks I should buy when the market finally capitulates and hits bottom, who's going to win the election and how that affects our taxes, what to pack for my 2-month sojourn on the west coast, what to knit next, why my kitchen counters are so cluttered and how to put away all that stuff so I can move around in there, and isn't it about time for my regular dental appointment?

Should I: Ask Joe to re-wire the entire house and put in a new circuit breaker box next year? Drill a new well? Get a real job? Or should I concentrate on present dilemmas: Do the laundry (in other words, am I out of underwear yet)? Call Juli at work? Buy drinking water this week? Get Echo a new dog bed before the trip west? Start sweeping leaves off the driveway on our walks before it gets too bad and I can't get the car up the hill? Go to Heritage Days today or tomorrow?Pick those last tomatoes off the vine or leave them where they are?

Finally, to shut the noise in my head off, I haul myself out of bed, go make coffee and come upstairs to write.

And here I sit, waiting for the muse to wake up.

1 comment:

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

Oh My Gosh - how do you make the voices STOP???? Glad you are doing ok - slow down and enjoy the colors.

L, M :-)