Saturday, March 1, 2008

20% off your next surgery!

I did the pre-admission dance yesterday at Holston Valley Hospital. Height, weight, BMI, blood pressure, patient history, current meds...the same old routine I have become depressingly good at. I spoke with the anesthesiologist. The nurse entered all my particulars in the computer. Copies were made of my driver's license and insurance cards. I was given mountains of (helpful?) paperwork with cheerful titles like Your Day Surgery Handbook and Pain Management & Your Comfort, HIPPA notices, maps, instructions, hospital policies, cafeteria menus, dress-code, sanitation procedures, visiting policies...STOP already with the paper!

Then, a surprise! "If you'd like to pay in advance today for your co-pay, deductible and 10% patient portion, I can offer you a 20% discount," the clerk chirped. Wow. Next thing you know I'll be getting direct mail pieces with clip-out coupons for pizza, hamburgers and outpatient surgery!

I took the discount, paid the woman, and allowed myself a moment to reflect on how weird my life has become.

No comments: