Monday, March 10, 2008

Darken the shades, remove the bandages...

"I can see!"

No, no, that's some other movie, starring Bette Davis...

The bandages did come off (in a bright room), and wow, it looks and feels so much better. This was the right decision--to jetison the happy-but-clueless crew at UVA and find someone who cared as much as I did about such silly things as appearance. I am very pleased, and as an extra bonus prize, I can now shower with abandon.

I'm to return in a week for another check, and he will talk to me and schedule the next step in the reconstruction process, which involves prosthetic tattoos and more aesthetic "improvements." (Why does it embarrass me to say nipples and aureoles? I don't know, but it does. You'd think after all this I would be beyond indignity, yet still, I blush. It's just a little creepy to think about).

For now, I am very pleased, and glad I had the "fix-it" surgery sooner rather than later.

No comments: