Thursday, March 20, 2008

Like the years between never happened...

I picked up Dave in Nashville last night around 9 pm, and it was 2 am before we made it home to Rogersville. The drive out was stormy and exciting, but I had left at 2 pm, because I knew bad weather was on the way. I stopped a few times to let the violence of the storm pass me by (torrential, firehose-on-the-windshield-like rain, high winds), and we hooked up without trouble at the airport.

The drive home was so much fun, both of us talking rapid-fire, catching up and observing world events with immediate connection.
"So what's Juli like?" he'd ask.
"Have you ever seen Wonderfalls, an obscure TV series...?" I'd start.
"I bought the whole series the day it came out, it was the best series I'd seen..." he said, before I interrupted "...the main character, that's my girl, brilliant, completely unmotivated..."
"Yep, yep, I can see that," he agreed.

So, after 20 years, we clicked again immediately, talking through the night and the miles with the comradery I've remembered and missed.

Today, we hiked all over the backside of the mountain, then Dave tackled the kitchen cabinet trays I've been dying to install for 3 months. In the afternoon, we hiked all over the bottom land down by the creek, got the mail and explored the new flowers down by the pond.

It is so great to leapfrog the distance of years and miles, and find commonality and companionship with an old friend.

No comments: