Friday, February 29, 2008

Flight or Fight

I let the fear get to me yesterday. It reminds me that we all live in a precarious state of only marginal control. My own panic about cancer, though superficially scarred over and starting to heal underneath, is still pretty close to the surface. Bill says "there is no fairness, and precious little mercy, where cancer is concerned," but we still have life, and hope, and faith on our side. We have new trials, skilled docs, brilliant researchers, and new treatments. We have some time, and we have prayer.

So much of what we do as humans is misdirected or futile. But occassionally, we are called to war against the darkness with every bit of strength we can gather. I actually have a picture in my mind of what this carnivorous beast looks like, having caught the shape of it in some of my most terrified times. We all come to a point where we want to run and hide, but somehow we stand and face it in spite of ourselves, and keep fighting.

R & D will saddle up and start the battle again, and I'm going to have faith that they can win it. I'm putting them inside a protective cocoon of woven light where they can be the victors this time.

No comments: