Saturday, February 9, 2008

Dogs as Reckless Teenagers

Sometimes I think my dog is a furry, retarded child. Dogs don't plan ahead, see danger or assess the consequences of their mindless, instinctual actions. Dogs just do whatever pops into their walnut-sized brains at the time.

Yesterday Echo and I were exploring up behind the house on our daily perambulation, and I decided to go up a trail I hadn't been on before. She bounded ahead, while I picked my way through the deep leaves and fallen trees on the seldom-traveled path. It got steeper and narrower as we climbed, and finally the path just got too difficult to continue, so I turned around and started down again. Echo, however, caught a scent and continued up the hillside above me, and when she was done sniffing, she decided to come straight down the steep slope to meet me.

I could see exactly what was about to happen--there was a sheer drop behind me, she would get going too fast on her four legs and start to slide, and inevitably shoot past me out of control and over the cliff! I lay down across the trail on my stomach, wrapped my legs around a tree, all the while talking to her in a calm voice "slow down, slow down," and as she shot towards me, I grabbed her collar, blocked her chest with my arm, spun her around and whumped her down beside me. I held her firmly around the neck while her dangling hind end scrambled back up onto the path.

Whew! The split second that had turned into a slow-motion movie resumed normal time. It worked perfectly, just as I had planned, and it was only afterwards that I realized I had only that one chance, and it could have gone much differently and ended badly. While I thought about that, I scolded her, and she leaped to her feet and wagged her tail triumphantly.

Now you're going to scold me, aren't you? But somehow, I knew exactly what to do without thinking about it, without having any time to think about it. I lowered my center of gravity, hugged the ground and secured myself first--there was never any chance that I was going to go over the precipice with her. I made the catch and it worked! Hooray for me! Is this what wide receivers experience in the Super Bowl? It was downright exhilarating.

But I don't think I'll take that particular path again, and certainly not with Echo. When I told Bill about it on the phone this morning, he knew exactly which place I was talking about--he sometimes sits out there waiting for deer to appear.

"Makes you wonder what she does when she's out by herself," he sighed. "I wonder if she'll ever grow up," sounding just like any father of a teenager.

3 comments:

Francie G said...

I have been catching up on your last 2 blogs when there it was. On Friday night you were chasing me while I was driving a tour bus. Last night (Friday) Tom and Gypsy woke me from my sleep because I was screeming. Something was trying to get me and I was trying to get away. I was really shaking and panting and wouldn't let go of Tom. You don't suppose.....

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

Ok - first I had to laugh when I read your cousin's comment. Did you both eat something similar before retiring to slumber? And, P, what puzzles me is that somehow the concept of Yoga is not quite capturing your inner self. BUT, you know what, I think that your actions today to harness Echo from his almost Evil Knievel leap may have somehow been Yoga related. Here is the definition of Yoga:
- A system of exercises practiced as part of this discipline to promote control of the body and mind - SEE - THERE YOU GO!!! Had it not been for the Yoga class Thursday evening, you never would have been able to accomplish such fast thought and movement to capture your beloved Echo!!! Way to go - I think you are on your way to Nirvana......Oh yeah - just in case you had went sailing through the air with Echo, did you have your cell phone? :-)

terry said...

Pam, I've had smart dogs and I've had dumb dogs. Dakota is a dumb dog who would run off a cliff with a puzzled look on his face. Luckily, he's extremely fuzzy and loveable. Oh, by the way, Jaimie Dushensky Ward is visiting us...remember her? She was in Katie and Alex's class. She's married and pregnant with her 3rd child! She's as beautiful as she used to be although now whe straightens her hair. Go figure...I'd kill for curly, full of body hair and I'm stuck with ever-thinning, stick straight body-less hair.