Sunday, September 14, 2008

One-Year Anniversary, Big Whoop

As much as I've tried to put it out of my mind, I can't help but note that today is my one-year anniversary of being diagnosed with breast cancer. In one way, it's one of those anniversaries that I don't want to remark upon, like my dad's death or 9/11. I wish I could forget it. I wish the day could just slip by unnoticed and uncommemorated.

Conversely, it is a milestone of sorts. A year ago today, (known in my head as The Day The Earth Stood Still), I thought all my chips were being cashed in. A year ago today, I couldn't even imagine that I would be here now, healthy and relatively happy again, somewhat damaged but not daunted or defeated. That's a victory of sorts.

So perhaps today is a time to reflect on just how fortunate I am; what I've gained and not what I perceive I have lost. Most of all, I feel lucky to be blessed with an optimistic approach to life. My glass is usually three-quarters full, even without conscious effort, or constant vigilance. I've been blessed with a year of loyal and caring friends, new and old, who buoyed me through the darkest, scariest times. My husband Bill has been steadfast and true, brutally honest at times, but standing right by my side through some really disgusting procedures, and managing to see me through loving eyes in spite of it all.

Life is good. I think I'll just let today pass by concentrating on that thought.

1 comment:

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

How strange and funny (not funny ha ha) our posts are today - must be the position of the stars!!!!! Kind of ironic. I commend you on moving forward.