Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Dog-Leg Blues, Continued

I may have to get a job, just to pay for Echo's vet bills.

Yesterday Echo got her inoculations up-to-date, but her leg continues to be swollen and infected. Now she is on 3 herbal medications, Benadryl (for the scratching allergies), and a hefty daily dose (700 mg) of doxycycline. If the swelling doesn't disappear in another week, Dr. Skelding will have to open it up again and see what there is to see. There is a lump in her leg, sort of where her "ankle" is, and that may have to be removed. Sigh.

My creativity is being challenged as to what I can mix these herbal powders with, so she will still eat her food. Since I've been cleaning out the old freezers, I've tried ice-crystalled chicken stock, freezer-burned beef stew and ancient broccoli-cheese hot pockets. So far, she's reluctantly eating the medicine-laced leftovers mixed in with her kibble, shooting me baleful looks from the kitchen. She's not eating with enthusiasm, that's for sure.

My clean-up mania continues. I need to rearrange everything in the basement so the construction fellows can access the plumbing and electrical for the bathroom project. I need to start emptying out the bathroom drawers and cubbyholes of stuff, and removing the old cedar planks from the walls. The weeds are taking over what's left of the garden. I have eleventy-billion bags of frozen blackberries that need to be turned into jam. I still have one more old freezer to empty into the newbie. The laundry is piling up. I need a haircut. I have to decide on faucets and lighting fixtures.

Obviously, I have no time for a job. Echo will just have to get better and stop racking up the vet charges.

1 comment:

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

P,

This post made my shoulders hurt to read it - I'm "stressing" for you. Hang in there - it's got to get better!!!!

L, M ;-)