Thursday, September 18, 2008

Jam! New Knitting Projects!

I tackled the bags of blackberries yesterday afternoon, turning 10 quarts of berries into 1 pint and 6 half-pints of jam. I've never done this before, so it was an experiment:




All I have to say is WOW, there sure are a lot of seeds in those little suckers. I cooked them down and put them through a food mill with a fine screen. Then I poured that puree through a finer sieve. I ended up with 9 cups of somewhat-less seedy pulp and about 70 pounds of discarded seedy-pyuck. I wouldn't call it Seedless Blackberry Jam, but it's the best I could do. Think of it as added fiber in your diet.


So here's how you do it: 9 cups of blackberry puree + 6 cups sugar. Boil forever. Boil some more. Keep stirring. Wait until it reduces by about a third and starts to jell. Ladle into jars and process 15 minutes in a water bath. Clean purple juice off every surface in the kitchen. Put 70 pounds of seeds and pulp in the composter. Clean more purple juice off the stove. Put paper towels on shopping list, as you just used every last one in the house.

Last night, with purple-stained fingers, I started playing with some of the exotic yarns I bought last week:

This is to be a fancy shawl/wrap for daughter Juli. Her wedding dress is red and sleeveless and fabulous, but as a mother, I look at the picture, think about how cold and rainy it's going to be in Seattle on December 21, and think "That girl needs a sweater!" Since I do not yet have the requisite knitting skills to knit said sweater, a shawl is what she will get.

Last week at knitting, Andrea loaned me one of her knitting books and last night I saw this:


I simply MUST knit this aviator cap for son Alex! This is classed as "Intermediate," of which I am nowhere near being, but I must try. I have the perfect yarns and the perfect recipient. And he too lives in cold, rainy Seattle. Brilliant!

Just what I need right now, more projects!

1 comment:

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

BUT, if you had no projects, WHAT would you do?

L, M ;-)