Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Unsettled

Maybe it was the sudden nature of Bill's departure (15 hours notice is short, even for this business), but I just couldn't seem to focus yesterday. I'd sit down to knit, then leap up to pick something off the floor. I'd wander into the kitchen for something, then forget what I came for. I couldn't do much but putter around, cruising for something that needed to be done.

Midnight came and went, and I still wasn't sleepy. I watched a really interesting series on DVD called The Book of Daniel and knitted. This short-lived series (7 episodes filmed, pulled from the network after the first 4 aired), was well-written, with intriguing characters and bright humor. But the subject, an Episcopalian priest with problems and a quirky family, was controversial and offensive to many, apparently. But still, no sleepiness.

I finally gave up and went to bed anyway at 2 am. I don't sleep well when Bill first goes, but I guess staying up that late did the trick--I slept through until just after 8.

Today, I'll start my living-alone routine. I'll exercise before I'm fully awake (if you can sleep through the first part of a workout, it seems shorter), shower, walk dog, get on with the chores of the day. Bill left a veritable mountain of detritus in the wake of his frantic departure, and that needs to be cleaned up. I have house guests from NY coming this weekend, the son of old friends, and his traveling companion, so some major swamping out needs to occur, sheets washed and clutter abated.

Today is day two. Only 118 left to go.

No comments: