Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Rhinovirus Moveth Forward...

I was up quite a bit last night--at 2 to take more sudaphedrine (stuffy nose), at 4 to do the Zicam gel up the nose, and at 5:30 to go get a throat lozenge. But I do feel a little better this morning, as though things are progressing rapidly, presumably toward eventual recovery.

I was shocked to hear my voice when I spoke to Echo this morning (yes, I talk to the dog, so sue me). I do believe I could be a bona fide baritone today.

Having watched more television yesterday than I have in a month, I got bored and made more pickle relish last night. Now I have a sink full of big, dirty dishes to deal with (colanders, food processor bowls, stockpots) this morning, but 10 pints of joy to feel proud about. At least I accomplished something besides filling up a wastebasket with tissues.

For those who enjoyed my observations on electoral politics yesterday (thank you for your comments, it helped my cold symptoms fade into the background), here's an amusing website, courtesy of my funny brother: www.getdrunkandvote4McCain.com . Jere was quick to call and tell me that he's absolutely thrilled with McCain's choice, is planning on holding house parties in his very, very, blue state Washington, and is making another enthusiastic effort on behalf of the gubernatorial candidate Dino Rossi, whom he worked for in 2004. It's nice to know that idealism lives, backed up by action, even in 50-somethings. I also must make this editorial correction: When brother said "no way" to Sarah Palin two weeks ago, he meant that he didn't think McCain would make such an out-of-the-box, inspired choice. Sorry for misinterpreting your remarks, bro, I was just feeling a rare, older-sister "gotcha" on my very smart, very savvy younger brother.

Husband Bill often says that my brother is the smartest guy he knows. I concur. Jerry is a unique combination of extraordinary talents, superior education, and down-to-earth analytical thinking. He's intensely interested in complex issues and problems, and is always trying new business ventures, in addition to being a full-time, big important guy at Boeing. I've tried many times to understand what his day job is, but ashamed to admit that I don't comprehend what he does, no matter how many times he explains it. It may have something to do with his three Master's Degrees--or it could be that I just zone out with my short attention span. What I do know is that he's a devoted husband and father, a genuine fighter pilot war hero, and just majorly fun to be around. I am looking forward to spending some time with him and his family, when I go out west in early November, before daughter Juli's wedding.

So I guess today will be spent on the continuing saga of my cold. I still can't believe I got sick, even if it does appear to be moving along with alacrity.

1 comment:

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

P,

Glad to hear there is some improvement. Again, I didn't want to call in case you were napping. Also, I'm so busy picking up pups saying "Outside"? LOL LOL LOL Uh Oh - gotta run "outside"!!!!

Take care of yourself, M....:-)