Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The ultimate clean up

A week from today, Mr. Carpet-Cleaning Man is coming to steam clean the downstairs rug. I was looking around the living area last night, and decided I had better get started on removing all the stuff on the floor that has to go away before he can do that. It's going to take a full week of decluttering, and I had better get started.

Our problem is that we never really "moved in" to this place. We transported all the boxes, unpacked what we needed as we needed it, and just started living in it. And then added to it. There are boxes in the basement that haven't been unpacked since we moved, almost 3 years ago. Which leads to the very interesting question: If we haven't needed it in 3 years, what is the point of keeping it? Should I just auction off these unopened boxes as Mystery Items? Should I just take them to the dump? Something has to be done with all this "stuff."

I'm sure it's good stuff. If I started unpacking, I'm sure find treasures galore, remembered items of delight. But I would have no place to put them. If I did, these boxes would already be unpacked and the items placed in service, or residing in the perfect spot.

In the meantime, the immediate problem is finding a place for everything in the living area that needs to be cleared for cleaning. I think I shall use this as an opportunity to completely reorganize our space, putting back only the things that really belong, and simplifying our life and our environment.

I've got the time, I've got the deadline and motivation, now all I need is the get-up-and-do-it energy.

No comments: