Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dr. Mark to the rescue...again!

Once again, Dr. Mark has saved my bacon. I emailed him about my UVA dilemma, (since he was the doc who recommended and referred me to Dr. Brenin originally), and we talked on the phone last night about what my post-cancer care ideally should look like.

Being a primary care physician himself, Mark believes that eternal vigilance is key, but agrees that continuing my follow up at UVA is inconvenient and perhaps not in my best interest in the long term.

When I was diagnosed last year, I didn't know anyone locally. I had no frame of reference, no names of local doctors, no established relationships. A year later, that has changed. If the cancer did come back, I would not want to be driving back and forth to Charlottesville, VA for care in any case. Our conclusion was that I should get a referral from my oncologist to a local breast surgeon here, so that I have the redundancy of care that would reassure me in the short term and be a backup if anything recurred. Problem solved.

On the other front, who knew that getting my carpet cleaned would change my life? It's like having a new rug! It's fluffy. It smells nice. It forced me to clean up our messy habits! I am so happy. Now I just have to be judicious in putting things back.

Back to life in progress...I'm off to Laundromat Land this morning.

No comments: