Tuesday, October 9, 2007

OK, here we go

At last, we have a mission, a schedule, and a plan.

I actually have two different kinds of cancer, and it's on both sides. So, the mission is to remove the tumors and the pathways bad cells might have used, irradiate the site locally if needed, poison any cells that might have escaped, and then deny any that are left after that the hormones that tell them to grow. I guess I'm about to become a battlefield.

After a full day of medical follies yesterday (7:30 AM - 4 PM) I have another list of tests and procedures scheduled, starting 3 weeks from today and culminating with surgery on Friday, November 2nd .

When the pathology comes back 2-3 days after surgery, then the oncologists in Tennessee will finely tune a treatment plan that will possibly include radiation (5 days a week for 6 weeks), then chemotherapy (could last up to 6 months or so?), then oral Tamoxifen for at least 5 years.

There is good news to celebrate too: I passed my psych evaluation (I apparently mentally "qualify" for a life-saving procedure?), the cancer is estrogen-receptive (so we can use hormonal treatment as a weapon), and Bill & I chose cute new bionic boobs to be installed either at the surgery (if radiation is not needed) or later (after radiation is finished). I will be about half the size I was, which means I will be thrilled.

It is much more complex than described here, of course. But these are the simple facts that will rule our lives for the next year or so.

So we're going home today for a 3-week respite from what we've been working on non-stop for the last month. I'm going to get some things done around the house, Bill is going to go up to Illinois and help his dad get that situation taken care of, and we're going to get ready for the next steps. I may not write everyday as I have been, because I'm going to consciously try to take a break from thinking about it 24/7.

I'm a little tired and "let down" today from all the tension we've been under, like my whole self is taking a big, deep sigh. Time to relax for awhile.

2 comments:

perkypeg said...

My Darling, Pam,
I just have to ask when you said you have cancer on both sides...do you mean the inside AND the outside? I wasn't going to ask...and then I though what the heck!
Everything in the blog sounds so positive. What a relief!
Take care, relax, pamper yourself...you deserve it!
Love ya,
Peg

Pam Sink said...

OMG! I laughed so hard, I fell off my chair.


Not inside & outside, dear Peg

****PORT & STARBOARD****

!!!