Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Nice people

Have I just been in a total fog of self-absorption for about the last gazillion years? Why does it take something like this to make me realize how truly amazing humans are, even the ones we don't know yet?

Suddenly, the whole world seems filled with people I have loved and who love me back, people I never knew but now have something in common with, people who care about me without even knowing me, and complete strangers I find myself caring about too. They are in waiting rooms, sitting as nervously as I, dressed in the same worn pink gowns. They are nursing and doctoring me, patting my arms, helping me breathe, sharing good news and bad as if they had a personal stake in the results of my tests. They are cooking for me, listening to me, housing us as if we were their own family. They are calling and writing and sending me jokes to make me laugh and keep my spirits up.

On waking this morning, I was overwhelmed with humility and gratitude. I've talked a lot about trying to show patience and kindness to others in my life--now I am the recipient, I am showered with it daily, and wonder if I ever knew how incredibly important it really is, whether I really did it for others with the open heart and unconditional generosity I am receiving now.

Knocks me out, that's what it does. Just knocks me out.

1 comment:

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

By George, I think you are seeing the "good" in the "bad". My philosophy in life (yes, Pam, I am a philosopher - LOL) is that there is ALWAYS something good in something bad. It's just sometimes you have to look hard to find it. I believe going through Breast Cancer, it presents itself to you without you having to look. And, in the long run, we become better people. This is something we haven't asked for and we just can't quite figure out "WHY US", but if we can keep focused and travel together - we'll learn so much from ours and others experiences. Gee, maybe we need to start a local group - maybe that's why we have been thrown together, along with the fact that we evidently needed each other!!!!!