Monday, July 27, 2009

Well, THAT little drama is DONE!

Leonard from Hardesty's Auto is my new best friend!

After trying everything I could think of this morning, I called him and he came with his big "roll-back" truck.

I prepared ahead of time by getting the Focus pointed downhill, strapping myself in, and coasting in neutral down the long, steep driveway. No power brakes, no power steering, just me creeping s-l-o-w-l-y down, both legs shaking on the pedal and my hand on the emergency brake. Whew. Down to the dam where it was flat and he could get his truck in.

He winched it up on the bed, and drove it away. Four hours later, he drove it up to the house and honked the horn. I wrote him a check while leaning on the hood of my car, thanking him profusely for saving my transportation bacon.

Now, can we get back to real life? Oh wait. This IS real life. Can we get back to uneventful life, where machines do what they are supposed to do, without the intervention of money, expertise (someone else's) and worrisome frustration?