Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Wages of Sin

It was the stress of the past few days, I'm sure.

After 7 weeks of almost-daily exercise, eating tiny amounts of only healthy, low-caloric, low-glycemic food, and losing 16 pounds of excess baggage (!), bringing me to within 1 pound of my last-December-wedding-weight, I fell off the wagon last night. In a really BIG way.

Let's just say that when I decide to binge-eat, I don't fool around, I go WHOLE HOG. I say "decide," but that's not entirely accurate. It's almost as if I was in a fugue state of "I know I shouldn't do this, but I can't stop myself." I noticed as I was bustling around in the kitchen, preparing my splurge-dinner, I was salivating like a starving dog.

My dinner: TWO Nathan's hot dogs with soft, fluffy buns, and all the trimmings--onions, sauerkraut, honey mustard and Dijon mustard, catsup, pickle relish. And a beer. And TWO lemon cupcakes with buttercream frosting with pearl sugar and crushed up lemon drops in the icing. It was a fabulous meal. I didn't feel guilty; I felt sated and swooning from the savory meat, the bitter alcohol and the 70-billion tons of refined sugar.

The result: I gained FOUR pounds on the scale this morning. How is that possible, gaining four pounds in 12 hours? Now I feel guilty. It's a good thing the guns are locked up.

So, back up on that wagon. And back down to the basement for some grunt-and-sweat time with my elliptical.

(Secret confession: It was almost worth it).


1 comment:

Hannah said...

It was just FLUID RETENTION!