Monday, July 13, 2009

Kingsport Day

I'm off to Kingsport this morning, for my monthly commutation with Mr. Acupuncture. Life without pain is such a wonderful thing! I continue to be amazed and grateful for the pain relief these monthly appointments give, with the added benefit of abating the hot flashes and providing a general sense of well being. The skeptic in me is humbled.

I am also going to brave the Land of Car Salesmen today, as I have an appointment to test-drive a VW wagon. I have had Volkswagens in the past, Beetles and Dashers, and have liked them. With Obama giving away $ for clunkers, and the little red Focus getting up there in mileage, it seems like a good time to trade in the van, collect the cash and replace the family "tripster."

I like compact wagons. Very few manufacturers make them anymore. I don't like SUVs, "Crossovers," or sedans. Once again, I am out of step with what the free market has decided is the vehicle of choice. If Ford continued to make the Focus in a wagon body-style, I would buy another in a heartbeat. But they don't. Old Red is the second Focus we've owned, and it's been reliable and economical to operate.

But now I have to change; find something to replace my old friend. Subaru? VW? Something weird from Chevy called an HHR? The process of schlepping around, gearing up to say "no, no, no" to salespeople--the whole idea makes me tired and edgy.

But it must be done, so off I go...

No comments: