Thursday, February 5, 2009

Snow, and More Snow

I didn't go to the doctor's on Monday, as the sky was ominously spitting frozen stuff, and I didn't feel like trekking 30 miles on nasty, slick roads. Little did I know, that was the last time we'd be able to get out and about this week.

It's been snowing off and on for the past two days. And cold? Woo-doggie, single-digit cold! While I enjoy being housebound and puttering about, Bill and Echo are starting to behave like caged wild beasts.

On the first day of cold and snow, we bundled up and went down to the pond to prune the fruit trees. Alex and I started this project in the Winter of 2007, planning a 3-year pruning schedule to put the old tired trees back in fruit-bearing shape. In the Winter of '08, Bill was at sea and I could not lift my arms to do any kind of work, so the trees just had to make do without a trim.
Now it is 2009, and I'm quite pleased with the results. There are plenty of terminal buds, and we cut out the last of the dead, dying, and crossing branches. We shall have apples and pears this summer!

Day 2 of snowboundedness, we read, napped and cooked waffles for dinner.

Today is Day 3--the sun is out, and it might get up to 30 degrees, but that's not going to melt this snow. But at least it will be warm enough to walk in the woods and dig the car out, and we can probably go to town if we need to.

Tomorrow, it will warm up to 50, and all this snow will melt away.

No comments: