Monday, February 23, 2009

Running Revelations

So there I was in Walmart's checkout line when I suddenly realized I had left my wallet on the car seat. No problem, I thought, I'll just write a check! But then the computer asked for my I.D., and I was in a quandry. The checker said, "I'll wait," and although the line behind me looked pretty grumpy, I decided I'd go ahead and sprint for the car.

I had parked far away so as to get my requisite exercise for the day, and before I knew it I was jogging. Now you have to understand, I have not run anywhere for almost 50 years. There was no sports bra on earth that could contain me, nor any way I could glide along at anything faster than a brisk walk, without jarring pain from the bounce of my chest.

And here I was...actually running! I was breathing in the crisp, cold air. I was bounding along with nary a bounce. No jiggles or wiggles! It was fun! It was exhilarating! I realized in a flash, that I probably hadn't run like this since I was about 8 years old.

And I felt like I was 8 again. Before I knew it, I was leaping and skipping too. I made it to the car, grabbed my wallet, and ran back. I wanted to revisit what had just happened, just to see if I could make it happen again. I felt great. It was incredible.

So if you've heard reports of a middle-aged woman zipping through the Walmart parking lot today, acting like a crazy kid...that was me.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

My friend Steve Hawkins, news director at WCYB TV 5, called and told me that some woman skipping in the Wal Mart parking lot was going to be headline news at 11:00!
You go girl!

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

I truly hate I missed that!!!!!

L, M ;-)