Friday, January 23, 2009

Getting Comfortable with Being a Tourist

I'm starting to settle in to this vacation-relaxation mode. From the crankiness of my post yesterday, I have concluded that I was just suffering from post-airline-travel-annoyance syndrome.

Yesterday, I conquered the intricacies of bus travel, found the knit shop I was looking for, and soaked up a little sun around the pool in the afternoon. I finished a baby blanket and a hat, started a book, and found some equilibrium.

The knit shop was a revelation--I am just not at a skill level to justify this leap into specialty yarn yet, at least in terms of actually purchasing a hunk of hand-spun, hand-dyed amazingness at $98 a skein. No, really! I am not kidding. There was a real bargain of 12 skeins of to-die-for rainbow-related, coordinating textures for only $180, but who are we talking about? Would I spend $180 on any article of clothing, already made? No way. So, it was fun to "ooooh" and "ahhhh," but I'll have to see if this new hobby stands the test of time before shelling out the big bucks on such luxurious materials.

Today, I have checked out a bicycle and plan to pedal up to "Antique Row" in Dania Beach. That is, if the old adage that one never forgets how to ride one of the things is actually true...

1 comment:

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

I thought of that while riding my bike.
-Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
-H.G. Wells

Nothing compares with the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
-John F. Kennedy


She who succeeds in gaining the mastery of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life.
--- Frances E. Willard, How I Learned To Ride The Bicycle, 1895