Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cold Thoughts on Car Tires

So...tell me again why I only seem to be able to get 30,000 miles out of 60,000 mile tires?

We tried to get the tires rotated in Roseville, CA at the local Walmart, only to be told that the tread was so worn as to be "illegal." They refused to touch the things, so we drove on, marveling at how difficult everything seems to be in my native state these days. While the rest of the universe accepts 3/32" of tread as a standard, 5/32" is what passes for legal tread wear in California.

By the time we got to Oklahoma, the vibration was getting more noticeable. And by the time we hit Arkansas, it was downright annoying. We tried stopping in a Walmart in Nashville to fix the problem, but Bill stood at the counter for 20 minutes without his presence being acknowledged, and we decided to just go home on our now almost-bald rubber.

Yesterday, I spent some time with the "Tire Lady," Joanne, at our Rogersville Walmart, both of us shaking our heads over my under-performing Michelins. Bill and I bought four new tires in September, 2007, right after we returned home from the west coast, and just before I was diagnosed. I guess all those trips (11, I think?) to Charlottesville, our summer trip to New York, and my cross-country trek for the wedding took their toll. All I can do is replace them, but at least I get a 49% refund of my original purchase price. In the meantime, prices have gone up by about 25% per tire, so now the discount doesn't sound so great.

But I have to make a tire purchasing decision, AGAIN. This is as bad as buying shoes for myself. Do I go for the hard-riding, but higher mileage-rated Bridgestones? Do I buy another 60,000 mile set, knowing that I'll only get a half-life out of the darn things? Do I go for tires that are made in Indonesia, or the ones made in India? I am so confused.

To add to the fun, it is freezing out there today. My thermometer says it's 5 degrees on the porch. I think I'll go back to bed and ponder getting new shoes for the car later. Much later.

1 comment:

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

P,

Relax - I've sent you a tire email - so all of your troubles should go away in the click of a mouse - LOL!!!! Stay warm up on that mountain. It's freezing and flurrying here in the valley.

L, M :-)