Wednesday, June 18, 2008

More Hat Follies! Green Beans!

After about two days on a new hat project (the coveted beret), I had to face the fact that this hat was too large for polite company. I followed the directions (cast on 52, k1, p1 for 1 inch, then increase to 78 stitches and knit, knit, knit), but ended up with half a hat, fit only for a head the size of Andre the Giant's. And he's dead. So that's not going to work.



It may have something to do with the super-bulky chenille yarn I'm using, or I might have mistakenly been following the directions for Queen Latifah's Tube Top, instead of Aunt Purl's Beret? Time to rip it out and start over, chastened but not defeated. Yet. Next time, I'm thinking of starting with 36 stitches--something that will actually have some relationship to my head circumference. For awhile there, I thought I was knitting a neck-warmer for an elephant.

In a more successful hobby, I harvested our first beans yesterday!


For just four 8-foot rows of beans tucked into a corner of the front yard, I sure do have a lot of beans. They hide. I have to sit in the straw and look carefully underneath each plant. And still, I miss some of them and have to go back and do it again. But to get about a pound of beans on the first pick is a treasure!

No comments: