Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Day

Whew. I'm pooped out.

I got up early this morning, and tackled the weediness of Ray's yard. Three hours later, I had hacked at the wisteria vines threatening to bring down his wooden porch, snipped at the insidious rose bushes, ripped out miles of creeping, invasive vines, and decided to go home and regroup.

After a shower, Ray's chimney inspector came up to our house and gave us the good-bad news that we are used to hearing when it comes to this wreck of a house. The chimney is unsafe, has been unsafe since the day the house was built. But the inspector was very knowledgeable, gave Bill some ideas of what could be done in the future. I took a shower, dressed up like a respectable person, and went off to Kingsport to talk to my lawyer.

It seems that we have once again caught my medical professionals in a baldfaced lie. The trick is to continue to trap them into more "gotchas." My case is tenuous, weak and thoroughly in the right (but that doesn't really matter in the law). Our only hope is to catch the culprits lying and trying to cover up their lies. Whether or not we will prevail is uncertain. But at least I feel that I am trying to do something to hold the people accountable for their poor judgment, mistakes and downright negligence. They didn't give me cancer, but they sure did deny me the benefits of early detection (which is really the only defense we have against the disease). I did the mammograms, I followed up with annual checks, but by not notifying me when something was actually wrong, they postponed my diagnosis for 14 months. Whether or not a jury will believe me is another story all together. The law is a game, not an exercise in what is right or just. All we can do is try. At least I have a lawyer who is willing to try.

Home for dinner for the boys and early bedtime. It's amazing how a busy day still just wipes me out.

No comments: