Friday, February 19, 2010

Ah-Choo!

Just as soon as Juli started recovering, I became a Vector of Infection. I am on Day 3 of a stupid common cold. Since Juli is always highly susceptible to colds and flu, my primary concern has been to not infect her while I go through the obligatory dripping, sneezing, coughing routine.

While at the pharmacy to pick up Juli's scripts, I filled a cart with hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, Puffs, zinc & echinachae lozenges, and Zicam for the whole household. I don't know if my cold is a result of exposure to Bill's virus in Singapore, being on multiple planes with recirculating air and sick people, my overuse of public land transportation lately, the shock of going from tropical Singapore to cold, rainy Seattle, or a combination of all of it. My only consolation is that it's progressing briskly along--today will probably be the last day I spend on the couch with a tissue clapped over my face.

Juli has decided to try working this weekend, starting tonight. She's mostly recovered, has a fistful of drugs if she needs them, and I'm sending her in with a bag full of little foods she can snack on to keep her energy up, without having to stress her tummy with big meals before and after work.

If she manages to make it through Friday, Saturday and Sunday, my plan is to fly back to Long Beach on Monday afternoon. If not, we'll reassess the situation and I'll see if I can arrange to take more time off from work and stay with her as long as necessary.

Bill reports in nightly from Singapore. He describes the ongoing shipyard experience as "sheer pandemonium," with no end in sight.

Good times, good times...for everyone!

No comments: