Friday, December 4, 2009

Winter?

"You have a jacket on!" Caroline sounded shocked, when I came back from dinner break yesterday afternoon. While everyone else wears sweaters, scarves and ear muffs at the library, I am still in short sleeves and light pants or skirts.

But yesterday at 3 pm, it was in the 30s outside and looking like snow--and I broke down and put on the light spring jacket I keep in the car for such emergencies. Yes, even I was a tad chilled on my trip to the post office. It didn't last though.

While we spent the evening at the library doing our normal library things, we also decorated several trees, strung lights and dressed our environment for the holidays. Caroline brought out several hats (she was wearing the Dr. Seuss Cindy Lou-Who number) and asked, "do you want the reindeer horns, or the Santa?" I chose the Santa, and even managed to carry off the festive look for about 15 minutes, when suddenly my ears turned bright red and sweat started pouring off my face. I had to ditch the hat, or risk self-immolation, right then and there.

Snow is indeed predicted for tomorrow. It seems a little early to me, but it is December--in New York, I'd be looking at below-zero weather this month. At least if I start burning up here, I can go outside in my T-shirt and chill out without turning into an ice cube.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

At 3:00 a.m. this morning (36 degrees, I was sitting in my rocker on the front porch in my gown! Cooling off, you might call it. Sadly, I didn't really ever get COLD while sitting there about 5 minutes. At least we are blessed with a bit of refuge! (BTW-I'm glad it was dark/I don't think the neighbors could have handled the sight of moi!) Miss you. hmg