Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Space-Time Continuum Deposits Me in Seattle

I'm here! My mind is still trying to catch up with my body's location. Since it didn't take 6 days to drive the distance, I am having some dislocation issues. What day is it? I was in Chicago, took a five-hour flight and arrived in Seattle a mere 3 hours from when I began? And when I cross the Pacific, it's only going to get worse, except that the flight will be 19 hours long and I will arrive 2 days later. Obviously, I do not acclimate to time travel very well when it goes faster than driving speed.

But all the planning had its rewards. The travel to Kentucky and the early flight out of Louisville came off flawlessly. No knitting needles were confiscated. Baggage arrived intact in Seattle and signage to find the Light Rail Station was clear and accurate. I was able to buy a ticket to downtown for only $2.50. The electric train was fast and quiet, although I was confused by the attire of my fellow travelers--they were bundled up as if it were 20 degrees outside instead of a balmy 55. I was comfortable in my short sleeves/no jacket, albeit underdressed by local standards.

Juli and Tyra met me at the station terminus and then we hung around on 3rd Avenue at what Juli called "the most disgusting bus stop in Seattle," waiting for a Number 3 bus. Three #7s came by in a row, and many other numbers, while we watched the street people and marveled at the decidedly strange fashion statements getting on and off the buses. At last we made our connection and made it home, and the bus driver even took my rail ticket as a transfer.

I took a short nap, Juli made a delicious pizza for dinner, and we all talked and laughed until bedtime. Today, J and I will shop for ingredients and make Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon, and have a small dinner party with son Alex, niece Angela and friend Sara, Kerne's sibs Tyra & Beorn tonight.

At some point I will switch my digs over to Alex's house, and on Friday, we are all going to see Avatar at the IMAX in 3-D. Wow. I'm hoping to see my brother and his family over the weekend.

It is good to be here.


No comments: