Friday, January 29, 2010

Greetings From the Future

I made it! It was a v-e-r-y long day and night, but I have emerged on the other side of the globe, two days later, happy to be here.

I was pretty groggy from the sleep-deprivation when I arrived, and even managed to get yelled at by the taxi coordinator at the airport. But I did get a cab, found my way to Bill's room, then stumbled around in the dark because I couldn't figure out how to turn the darn light switches on. Thankfully, Mom had given me a flashlight, so I took a shower and collapsed into bed around 3 am.

When I awoke at 7, I discovered that one has to insert one's key card into a slot on the wall to activate the lights. Who knew? I've already stubbed my toes on the bathroom entryway (why would you make the bathroom floor an inch higher than the rest of the room?), found the calamansi juice Bill left for me in the mini-fridge, found the "business center" computers off the lobby, the gym and the pool, and taken a walk around the neighborhood.

It is hot and sticky, like August in Tennessee, and it isn't even 9 o'clock yet. My normally smooth, straight hair has gone into a tropical frizz-fest. I had my morning coffee at a sidewalk table down the street from the hotel, soaking up the sights and sounds of city life, then walked over to a quasi-Indian stand and had a roti prata and mango juice for breakfast. The prata was like a flour tortilla cooked with scrambled egg inside, accompanied by a spicy sauce (masala, maybe?). The mango juice was fantastic. Is it time for a nap yet?

I'm still pretty pooped from the traveling but am conflicted as to what schedule I should get on--should I match Bill's awake hours (midnight to noon), or bat around the city while he sleeps during the day? We always knew there wasn't going to be too much togetherness on this trip, but I'd like to see the guy at least some of the time.

I'm feeling a bit city-intimidated, as I often do in unfamiliar places until I find my way around. My plan for the rest of the morning is to go take a swim, and then maybe go get a massage, to loosen up all those cramped muscles from the plane. Then Bill will be home from work around 12:30 and we'll decide how we're going to work this.

This is going to be a fun adventure!

No comments: