Saturday, January 16, 2010

I think I'm ready (?)

I've been to the dump. I've washed my clothes. I've packed my suitcases, one for cold weather (Seattle), and one for hot weather (Singapore). I have all my paperwork and my passport and ID. I have a book and my knitting. I have all my drugs and vitamins. I've got my camera, batteries, memory sticks, notebook, cell phone and charger. All my fluids and gels are in 3 oz. containers in a quart ziplock bag. Phone list. Money. Toothbrush. Eyeglass Rx. Umbrella. Sunscreen and insect repellent.

I ran out of time and decided to use the extra day I budgeted for this possibility. Tomorrow I will clean house while ruminating on what I possibly have forgotten. I'll drive up to Jeannie's on Monday and we'll have dinner together before sleeping fast and getting up in the dead of night to drive to Louisville for my 7 am flight on Tuesday.

Because I fly so infrequently, this has turned into a major production. I know I am overthinking this. I have been very conservative on the amount of clothes I'm taking. I don't want to be overburdened with luggage. Everything is in red and black so I can mix and match. If I really have forgotten something, I can buy what I need, right? Right.

Chapstick? Nail clippers?

I am making myself crazy. Never again will I berate Bill on his packing procrastination and his before-flight jitters.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Here's the best travel advice I have ever heard:

"Pack your bags and plan your budget.

Then, before you leave, unpack half your bags and double your budget."

I've been on three-week trips to Europe and weekend-trips to local towns, and it is the perfect formula for what you will actually need.

Christina said...

Here's the best travel advice I have ever heard:

"Pack your bags and plan your budget.

Then, before you leave, unpack half your bags and double your budget."

I've been on three-week trips to Europe and weekend-trips to local towns, and it is the perfect formula for what you will actually need.