Saturday, March 14, 2009

Why didn't I think of THAT?

Head smack! After going round-and-round on the pain carousel, it took my favorite Dr. Anderson to point me in the right direction. We had a pleasant visit (I got to see the baby pix AND the real-life baby, so adorable!), a non-eventful exam with no unpleasant surprises, and when she noticed how much pain I was in, she sent me to an acupuncture clinic down the street.

They took me in right away, without an appointment, did a 2-hour workup and treatment, and I walked out with about a 50% reduction in agony.

Okay, it was a little weird, but not at all painful. He put a needle in the top of my head, and one in the middle of my forehead, and a whole bunch right around the scar line and above it in my shoulder. He hooked them all up to an electric stim generator, which produced a mild buzzing sensation, put a heat lamp above me, dimmed the lights and closed the door. I fell asleep to the gentle electric massage pulses. Afterwards, he massaged in some herbal arnica cream, told me what to do at home this week, and sent me out the door. Wow.

This morning, my shoulder is a little sore, as he predicted, but I am vastly, monumentally, better. He predicts that the stabbing pains will get less intense and less frequent. And then, they will be gone. I am hopeful that this is finally the solution I've been looking for!

No comments: