Monday, March 9, 2009

Planting Peas

What glorious weather we've had for the past two days! The birdies are all peeping and searching for nest sites. The air is warm and the wind is blowing with the smells of green!

Cousin Jean came for a visit and, with spading fork in hand, turned over my two front beds of earth, chopping up the clods and getting them ready to plant. Bless her! There was no way I could do the heavy shovelling work, but with everything all set, I was able to plant peas with abandon yesterday afternoon.

At 57 days, I should be able to get a crop of peas in and out before it's time to put the solanacious crops (tomatoes, peppers, beans and cukes) in. Peas are great for the soil too--they pull nitrogen from the air, and fix it in the dirt--instant fertilizer!

I made the rows wide enough that I will also have room to sneak in some carrots and beets between the rows, to grow underground while the peas grow above.

It soothes my soul to play in the dirt and anticipate plants growing.

1 comment:

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

Cousin Jean is a very nice person, isn't she?! We ALL need a Cousin Jean!!!!