Thursday, September 27, 2007

Waking-up thoughts

I think I must have known something was coming, something that was going to require my full-focused attention.

I didn't want to go to Singapore with Bill this summer, I wanted a driving trip out west. It mystified him. He really couldn't understand why I didn't want to spend $1600 to fly 26 hours, literally half-way around the world, to be in a city he really likes, to sightsee on my own and see him 1-3 hours a day between his exhausting 12-hour shifts + 2 hour-long bus commutes to & from the shipyard. No, I wanted to drive all the way across and around the country, just me and my dog, to see my mother, my brother and his family, beloved old friends and my kids--not for anything special--just to be with them in their everyday lives.

I didn't understand why I didn't want to go to Singapore either, I just knew that I didn't.

Instead, I racked up 8,998 miles in two months (necessitating new tires upon returning home--and boy, wasn't that a good idea too!), saw almost all of the people I wanted to see, and did almost all of the things I wanted to do.

I'm glad I did it. It's exactly what I wanted to do. I think now that I needed to do just that, to get ready for this.

No comments: