Monday, June 29, 2009

Who's been sleeping in my (lettuce) bed?

Wildlife abounds. On my way back from the dump a few days ago, a big buck leapt in front of my car, in my own driveway. And now, this morning I awakened to signs of an interloper, right by my front door:

So who's been molting in my pathetic little lettuce tub? A three-foot Blacksnake, that's who! I have pretty much been ignoring this paltry, heat-stroked lettuce, as I have much tastier greens growing inside in the hydroponic AeroGrow unit:

Out on the porch, the tomatoes and peppers (and eggplant and artichokes) are taking over the railing, hanging over the deck and waving at passerby. Well, okay, there aren't any passerby, but you get the idea:

It just seemed easier to tie the plants to the railing than to stake them. I am all about the easy when it comes to gardening. I have baby green tomatoes and little nubby peppers appearing!

And yes, down in the lower level, the beans continue to outpace my picking motivation. I'm getting about a pound per day, with no signs of slackage in bean production.

Ah, summer!


1 comment:

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

With that "SKIN", you may be on your way to your own "Little Shop of Horrors"!!!!!!!!

That indoor lettuce is wonderful. Tempts me to get one of them thar contraptions. Maybe someone will pawn one - LOL LOL LOL.

L, M ;-)