Wednesday, September 15, 2010

New Driveway, New Trees, Big Fish, Old Dog, Bad Headache


Bill and I tromped down to the pond at sunrise a few mornings ago, hoping to catch some breakfast. I pulled this guy out on my fifth cast. Bill hooked a huge bass, but he spit the hook at the last minute. I got another crack at him, but I lost him when he snapped my swivel and took my lure. I put this one back in the pond and we had cereal instead of bass for breakfast. Tomorrow is another day...

Ozzy continues to entertain us with his playful, puppy-like antics. He does not act like an old dog (except when he over-does the exercise). Bill decided he couldn't give him up and send him to Baltimore to a new home, so we have signed the papers and adopted him. He thinks he was already "home," so it will work out just fine. He is now our dog.

While Bill shopped at Lowe's for drainage supplies for the new driveway patch, I bought trees. I found a Granny Smith apple, a Montmorency cherry and a self-pollinating nectarine. Bill is clearing some of the hillside to start our "orchard" near where Echo is buried.

And the driveway patch. Those of you who have braved our road rally-type transition from gravel to the steep concrete, bouncing over water-damaged ruts and gullies, straddling potholes the size of tiger pits, will be pleased to note the new, improved roadway. The water runoff now flows into a grate to be carried away into the pond (by the soon-to-be installed pipe), instead of washing out the bottom of the drive.

I was fortunate to be working the day of pouring concrete. There was WAY too much testosterone in the air, four sweating men (including Bill), heavy machinery, shovels, Bob-cat, and cement truck. When I came home from work, it was done (and quiet). We spent the rest of the week hoofing up and down the drive back and forth to the cars parked down by the pond, while the cement cured.

This is my week of working everyday. I had a truly monstrous headache all last night, checking books in and out with an ice bag on my head and ignoring the patrons' snickers. I came home, immediately changed into my jammies and stuffed my throbbing skull into a pillow. Today the library is closed and we will all show up in grubbies to clean and organize without the distraction of having to wait on people. Then back to the routine on Thursday and substituting for a co-worker on Friday. Bill leaves for Norfolk on Sunday.

And that, as they say, is that.

No comments: