Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mr. Dog Gets Comfortable

"Bounder" (who alternately answers to "Shadow") and I are settling in after our first week together. He's a playful young thing, with boundless energy, until he collapses in his spot behind the couch. I've tried moving his bed to different areas of the house--he likes the spot he chose!



Lots of biting and chewing, counter-surfing and other uncivil puppy behaviors, such as drinking out of the toilet bowl. He is making me be a better housekeeper--I don't want to risk my leather purse, my hiking boots or my walking shoes to the jaws of death and destruction.
He does like the toys I brought out from the Echo bag. He tosses them in the air, flings them around the room and prances with them dangling out of his mouth. He will run and pounce on a thrown toy and sometimes even brings it back for another toss.

I have even taken him off-leash a few times--yesterday up on the mountain path, when he was being particularly tractable, and today down by the pond. He is fast. Almost as fast as I remember Echo being when she was younger. I let him race downhill and then whistle him back with a treat. This only lasts for about five go-rounds of course; then he starts to get that look as if he's headed for the horizon on the next trip. At that point, I re-leash him and we finish our walk under control. It's great to see him stretch his legs and wear himself out.
Today, I repacked the crate in its box. He is wearing sores in his face trying to push his way out between the wires, and it's just not right. Yesterday, I strung a metal cable about 80 feet up the back yard hill, attaching it by drilling and screwing eye bolts into two oak trees. I then ran a lead on a pulley and spring attachment, so I can clip him to that when I am out and about. I'm not sure he likes it any better than being in the crate, but at least he won't hurt himself on it. Now I have to figure out how to build a doghouse arrangement for when it rains. And then I'll have to teach him to go IN the doghouse when it rains!
Work is work. I'm really tired after my first week back. It's great to be with my library friends again, but physically, it's wearing. I have another round of doctor appointments this week, so it's going to continue to be busy.
And somehow, I've got to get my garden planted if I want any vegetables this summer! I am way behind on everything.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Wow, he looks like a differenct dog than the first pics you posted. He totally looks as if he is adjusting to winning the lottery! You definitely are a dog whisperer...can't wait to meet him and see you!

Hugs,
Hannah