Friday, May 14, 2010

Let's Give Thanks for the "Evil" Pharmaceutical Industry!

After two years of Juli's multiple hospital admissions, mystery panic attacks, intractable vomiting and tremendous medical debt, my daughter's disease was finally diagnosed. It can be treated and possibly cured by a drug called Lamictal. The only problem was that the drug would cost almost $600 per month--a total deal-breaker, out of the realm of reality for her.

I went online and found the manufacturer of Lamictal, GlaxoSmithKline, and I called them. I explained the situation. The gentleman asked a few questions and then told me if my daughter and son-in-law's combined income was less than $36,000 a year, GSK could get her her medication today. They would email a voucher for a 60-day supply at any dispensing pharmacy for a $10 co-pay. Then, after they received a one-page form and a copy of last year's 1040 taxes, GSK would begin sending her 90-day supplies free of charge, for as long as she needed it.

I knew that there were programs, but I expected little more than maybe a coupon or a 10% discount. Unfortunately, I had bought into the all-too-familiar argument that Giant Pharma was "evil" (or at least irresponsible). Sure they spent an average of $1 Billion to develop every new drug they bring to market, and spent almost 10 years on paperwork to get it through the clinical trials and government-approval phases, but what good is a new miracle drug if no one can afford it?

Turns out that they give away the drugs to those who need them--but we never hear about THAT when the politicians are pontificating. I encourage everyone in a similar situation to call the drug manufacturer--you might be surprised at what they can do for you.

*************

Wednesday's oncology appointment when swimmingly well. I am now a 2 1/2 year cancer survivor, with NED (no evidence of disease), and an excellent prognosis. Woo-Hoo!

No comments: